I Just Got Injured In A Motorcycle Accident, What Do I Do?
Riding a motorcycle is an awesome, freedom kind of experience. But it is a thrill that does come with some risk.
Ask anyone who had ridden a motorcycle for any period of time. They have probably experienced some close calls or scary experiences that have made them consider parking the bike forever.
If you or someone you care about has gotten into a motorcycle accident, you may have a lot of questions on what to do when this type of incident occurs. One big question everyone asks is “How much money can I get?” Well, let’s slow down for a second and take a picture of what happened.
A Couple of Scenarios
Damages have to do with injuries and other losses connected to the accident. The worse the injury, the higher amount of money typically awarded.
To put a value on a motorcycle accident case there are two things we need to look at; liability and damages. Liability is more of who was at fault.
And proving liability is the difference between a small settlement and a large settlement. Depending on how much damage to you and the bike also play a part in the amount.
- You are stopped at a light in the middle of the day on your Harley and some guy rear ends you. The bike tips over and you jump off, no problems and you didn’t get hurt. Great right!
The settlement is probably small because you didn’t get hurt, and there is hardly any damage. Most insurance companies will offer you a little bit of money to go away and leave them alone.
- Same story as above, but this time the bike falls on your bad leg. The one with a previous injury to it. Insurance companies typically offer quick settlements if they see this kind of activity in a case…
- Aggravates a previous injury
- You just got a promotion at work, but can’t work anymore
- Constant pain
- Medical charts show obvious damage
- Strong witness statements
Insurance companies are in the business of protecting shareholders money. They know how to fight and play dirty if it saves them a penny. So if you are hurt, don’t take the chance of losing what you are entitled to receive.
Types of Damages We Recover
- Special damages – Special damages are past, present, and future lost earnings and lost earning capacity, including employment benefits, medical bills, and other financial losses.
- Pain and Suffering – Pain and suffering are not capable of exact calculation, but they are recoverable damages. If you are in pain and having to take pain killers, cannot enjoy life like you used to, etc. Then a judge simply instructs the jury to use their good sense, background, and experience in determining pain and suffering.
One of the most important factors when determining the lawyer you hire, is finding someone who can personally understand your case…
Although Lawyers must present themselves professionally, they also have their own personal hobbies.. which allow them to better understand cases they take on…
The Managing Partner at the Horwitz Law Group, Mark Horwitz, is a Harley rider himself. He personally knows how difficult it can be to protect yourself against other drivers. Plus, Mark knows how to fight the insurance companies when they manipulate circumstances to shift blame to someone else, namely you.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle, automobile, or any similar type of accident, one of our experienced Chicago motorcycle accident lawyers can explain your legal options. At The Horwitz Law Group, we offer experienced, strategic advocacy focused on financial recovery for victims and their families.
Call The Horwitz Law Group at 312-641-9200 or contact us by e-mail to schedule a free initial consultation
REMEMBER, IF WE DON’T WIN YOUR CASE, OUR SERVICES ARE ABSOLUTELY FREE!!