What to do After a Car Accident
Every time a driver gets on the road they take the chance of getting in a automobile accidents. They can happen to any driver at any time. Car accidents are a real problem in the United States and Chicago especially. The fact of the matter is, no matter how many laws we make to keep drivers safe an accident is just that, an accident. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has estimated that drivers in the U.S. have a 30% chance of being involved in a serious car accident in their lifetime. It is almost guaranteed that every driver will be involved in some sort of automobile accident at least once in their lives.
The big question is, after you are involved in an accident, what do you do now? All drivers need to know what steps to take after being involved in an auto accident. Whether the crash is serious or not there are many things to keep in mind. No matter who is at fault, all parties involved must now face the consequences of the accident. The Chicago car accident attorneys at The Horwitz Law Group remind drivers to take the following steps after a car accident.
Immediately Following the Accident
- Most importantly, remain calm.
- Contact 911 as soon as possible. Check for injuries and if you are unsure request an ambulance to be safe.
- Notify your insurance company as soon as possible.
- If possible, move to a safe area, off to the shoulder or near an exit if possible. If moving out of traffic is not possible, remain in the vehicle with seat-belts on until police arrive.
- Exchange information with others involved in the accident: names, phone numbers, license plates numbers and insurance information.
- Take notes on everything that happened. Write down your personal account of the events, including a diagram of the accident. It is important to do this before speaking to anyone else involved in the accident, stick to your account of what happened.
- Obtain contact information from witnesses or bystanders who may have seen the accident.
- Take picture of everything if possible.
Remember! Do not accept fault for the accident. State only the facts and do not accept liability for the accident under any circumstances. Contact a Chicago car crash lawyer if you have any questions about auto accident liability and your rights following an accident.
Dealing with Auto Insurance Companies
Following the crash get in touch with your insurance company once again to determine the amount you can recover from your accident. Always be careful when dealing with insurance companies. If you are not happy with the amount granted for your accident, you have the right to receive an external opinion. Insurance companies will typically provide you with a low initial estimate to cut costs and because they expect many drivers to fight their settlement. Also, if you are contacted by the insurance companies of other parties involved in the accident, be careful what you say. You are not obligated to answer any questions and should contact a car accident attorney if you are unsure.
If you have any questions regarding your car accident, contact the expert at The Horwitz Law Group. We are here to help and are prepared to assist you with all of your concerns regarding any auto accident in the City of Chicago.