Numerous companies, franchises and food chains have resorted to using courier messengers and bicycle delivery services as a result of increased gas prices. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 116,200 bike messengers and couriers for the year of 2010. That number is expected to increase by as much as 13% in less than 10 years.
Reasons for Courier Messenger and Bicycle Messenger Accidents
There are many reasons why bike messengers and courier messenger accidents may occur. Like car accidents, one of the greatest causes of courier accidents is driver negligence. For bike messengers and courier service agents this negligence can be far more fatal since they do not possess the heavy-duty protection of an aluminum body, like that of a vehicle. Bike messengers may also suffer greater damage from the powerful impact of a hefty vehicle collision.
Common reasons for courier messenger and bike messenger accidents are:
- Negligence of drivers by violating traffic laws and designated bike lanes
- Hit a bicycle messenger from behind
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Motorists driving impaired from drug intoxication
- Failure to ignore a changing traffic light
- Failure to stop at a stop sign and hitting a biker
- Sudden stop in front of a biker, causing the biker to crash into another vehicle
Bicycle accidents and courier messenger collisions occur on far more frequently than expected. Despite the rise in bike messenger popularity and usage, bike messengers still face a great level of peril on the roads and streets. Although, myriad of safety regulations and laws have been enacted and set in to place, drivers and motorists continue to fail to acknowledge and respect lanes and traffic signs.
Bike Messenger Injury Advice
If you have been injured as a result of a bike messenger or courier messenger accident, there are some important steps you must take:
- Photograph the scene of the accident immediately
- Contact your employer and report your injury
- Call an experienced messenger injury attorney
- Provide police with your account of the events that took place in the accident
If you have suffered injury as a result of a bike messenger or courier messenger accident, immediate action is imperative. You may be entitled to compensation and even have your medical bills and expenses paid. An experienced personal injury lawyer will gather evidence, compile hospital records, and speak to witnesses. Call the personal injury lawyers at The Horwitz Law Group at (312) 641-9200 for a free consultation today.